[RFC XI 2.1 - xf86-input-evdev 2/3] Add experimental XI 2.1 multitouch support

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Dec 2 07:37:10 PST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 10:34:44AM -0500, Chase Douglas wrote:
> On 12/02/2010 10:28 AM, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 10:06:01AM -0500, Chase Douglas wrote:
> >> Instead, we could create separate input devices for the strip and the
> >> touchscreen. The strip would be a dependent device, and would usually be
> >> attached to the same MD as the touch screen. However, it could also be
> >> attached to a different MD, allowing for more interesting mixing and
> >> matching of input devices.
> >
> > We could make the mode in the touch class a bitmask of direct and
> > dependent, and let the driver tell us at touch creation time whether the
> > touch should be direct or dependent?
>
> That doesn't resolve the issue of sending two separate touch events from
> two separate "devices" through one XI device. What if the intuos had
> another touch strip? The touch event would have to distinguish between
> the two strips somehow. I think the only way to do that would be through
> a valuator, which would just be fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Indeed.  If we need to distinguish between the different touch strips,
then the only option is having multiple devices, and at that stage I
think we should really revisit the idea of a deeper device hierachy
(e.g. MD #1 -> Wacom tablet #1 -> {Pen, Eraser, touch strip #1, touch
strip #2}).

Cheers,
Daniel