-fno-strict-aliasing in CWARNFLAGS?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Feb 3 23:52:23 PST 2010

On Feb 2, 2010, at 17:34, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> That being said, I also enabled the warning which should mention when it discovers code sensitive to the -fstrict-aliasing optimization, and none of the libs in the list above spewed such a warning.

I'd like to correct my statement here.  It turns out that Apple's gcc does not enable -fstrict-aliasing with -O2, so I did not actually do this test properly.  I will be rebuilding the modules with -fstrict-aliasing -Wstrict-aliasing=2 explicitly this weekend and will send patches to re-add -fno-strict-aliasing explicitly to the modules' configure.ac

On a side note, util-macros should not do the -fno-strict-aliasing -> -Wstrict-aliasing=2 change until all affected modules have had a release with the explicit -fno-strict-aliasing in-module.  I'll just hold on to that patch locally and anyone interested in testing can certainly make the change locally.

--Jeremy