Where to get timestamp for selection?

Zhang, Xing Z xing.z.zhang at intel.com
Thu Feb 25 21:39:24 PST 2010

Hello experts:
         ICCCM said "Clients attempting to acquire a selection must set the time value of the SetSelectionOwner
request to the timestamp of the event triggering the acquisition attempt, not to CurrentTime". In my simple
code, there is no event happen before SetSelectionOwner, how can I get the timestamp? I didn't see a function
used to require timestamp in Xlib, so I have to trigger an event just for getting timestamp?
         I see in MetaCity, there is a PropModeReplace event prior to SetSelectionOwner. If I have to produce an event
by myself, what's event usually used?

         I am not sure if there is a maillist for X newbie, if I post to wrong place, pls kindly direct me to right room.
Thanks.

Zhang Xin(Wing)
Intel(SSG/OTC) ShangHai China