xorg.conf.d - InputClass feature request

Alberto Milone alberto.milone at canonical.com
Sat Jan 2 03:03:24 PST 2010

Hi all,

I have noticed that "the ability to set the Xorg driver, or arbitrary driver
options, directly through udev has been removed".

This is a bit of a problem for me (and for Canonical's OEM team) as, after
dropping hal, I was relying on udev to apply my quirks for touchpads.

For example, here's an extract from a udev rule that we're using in Ubuntu:
ATTR{[dmi/id]product_name}=="Inspiron 1011|Inspiron 1012", \
  ENV{x11_options.JumpyCursorThreshold}="90", \
  ENV{x11_options.AreaBottomEdge}="4100"

ATTR{[dmi/id]product_name}=="HP MiniNote 1000", \
  ENV{x11_options.JumpyCursorThreshold}="20"

Touchpads don't expose enough information about themselves in the kernel (i.e.
vendor, product and name are still too generic for quirks), therefore I use
udev to get the system name from /sys/class/dmi/id/product_name and apply the
quirks only for certain laptop/netbook models.

Now that this feature is going away I would like to be able to do the same in
the InputClass by adding an option such as "MatchDmiProductName" or whatever
name you prefer.

For example, the following configuration would be applied only on the Dell
Mini 10v:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "true"
        MatchDmiProductName "Inspiron 1011"
        Driver "synaptics"
        Option "AreaBottomEdge" 4100
EndSection

Would you consider accepting a patch to implement this feature? If so, I would
work on it.

Please let me know.

Regards,

--