Fwd: Re: xorg.conf.d - InputClass feature request

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jan 4 15:05:40 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 10:27:51AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > yes, this was the idea, though we might need to think about namespacing the
> > tags. some discussion with the udev guys would be beneficial here.
>
> Indeed, just using a "TAG" property is too generic. How about
>
>   ENV{ID_INPUT.xorg.InspironBottomEdge}="1"
>   ENV{ID_INPUT.xorg.SlowMotion}="1"
>
>   MatchTag "InspironBottomEdge"
>
> This is assuming that you only want boolean matches and potentially
> have more than one quirk. Then MatchTag "foo" would look for a set
> ID_INPUT.xorg.foo property.
>
> If you want/can support string matches as well, this could look a tad
> nicer:
>
>   ENV{ID_INPUT.quirks}="InspironBottomEdge SlowMotion"
>
>   MatchTag "quirks" "*InspironBottomEdge*"
>
> From an udev POV I'm not fussed about which to take. Here, udev just
> provides a property database.

I think strings give us better flexibility and better ability to group the
tags. I'd like to see some tags to be more generic and less X.Org focused.
For example, the Dell Inspiron bottom edge buttons aren't just a problem for
the synaptics driver but would be for any software using the touchpad.
Others may just be useful for X.Org, so having rules like the following may
be useful for generic matching:

ENV{ID_INPUT.tags}="DellInspiron BottomEdgeButtons"
EVN{ID_INPUT.synaptics_quirks}="JumpyCursorThreshold SlowMotion""

Either way, by having the MatchTag option parse two string values the actual
tag naming is up to the distro and I guess after a bit of experimentation
we'll likely settle into something that should be shareable between the
distros.

Dan?

Cheers,
  Peter