pkg-config files list protos when not required

Julien Cristau jcristau at debian.org
Sat Jan 9 14:13:23 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan  9, 2010 at 14:00:12 -0800, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> I thought the entire point of the cleanup that Peter did before the
> Katamari release was to divorce user apps from their reliance on the
> *proto packages... IE install everything needed to build the
> applications in the library package rather than the proto package.
> The proto packages should just contain what the libraries require to
> communicate with the server.

Hmm, no, as far as I can tell what the cleanup did was separate Xlib
structures and function declarations from protocol constants/structures,
and make sure the former lived in the lib* modules instead of the
protos.  The protocol headers are mostly separated in 2 parts, one is
the wire structures (say <X11/extensions/renderproto.h>), that is only
needed to build the server and extension library, and the other is a set
of protocol constants (like <X11/extensions/render.h>), which is often
included by the library's public header, and as such needs to be
installed to build an app against the library.

Cheers,
Julien