Enabling multitouch in input-evdev

Bradley T. Hughes bradley.hughes at nokia.com
Tue Jan 19 01:04:53 PST 2010

On 01/19/2010 09:43 AM, ext Peter Hutterer wrote:
>>> given the easy case of a single user interacting with a surface:
>>> with Qt as it is now, if you get all the coordinates in a single XI2 event,
>>> would that work for you? or is there extra information you need?
>>
>> That should work. Ideally I would like to also get some kind of
>> indication from the device that it is a touch device, and what kind
>> of touch device it is (it is a touchscreen or a touchpad? for
>> example, we treat them slightly differently).
>
> Well, given the right axis labels that's the indication then :)

Can you give me an example? Right now, I'm struggling with finding out how
to get this information from the evdev driver to the client. The driver
knows whether the device is a absolute touchscreen, a touchpad, or a tablet,
but doesn't seem to pass this through to the clients.

I have a laptop with the N-Trig digitizer, which is supposed to be both a
touchscreen and a tablet. The device isn't working 100% in Linux yet, but it
should be possible to (eventually) detect events coming from the pen vs.
from a finger. But again, how would one pass this to the client?

Bradley T. Hughes (Nokia-D-Qt/Oslo), bradley.hughes at nokia.com
Sandakervn. 116, P.O. Box 4332 Nydalen, 0402 Oslo, Norway