multitouch

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Tue Jan 19 04:00:27 PST 2010

Bradley T. Hughes wrote:
> On 01/18/2010 11:54 PM, ext Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>> hey guys (sorry for starting a new thread - i only just subscribed - lurking on
>> xorg as opposed to xorg-devel).
>>
>> interesting that this topic comes up now... multitouch. i'm here @ samsung and
>> got multi-touch capable hardware - supports up to 10 touchpoints, so need
>> support.
>>
>> now... i read the thread. i'm curious. brad - why do u think a single event (vs
>> multiple) means less context switches (and thus less power consumption, cpu
>> used etc.)?
>
> Even though the events may be buffered (like you mention), there's no
> guarantee that they will fit nicely into the buffer. I'm not say that this
> will always be the case, but I can foresee the need to write code that scans
> the existing event queue, possibly flushes and rereads, scans again, etc. to
> ensure that the client did actually get all of the events that it was
> interested in.
They other guys at my workplace do a touchtable, so I'm not particularly
qualified. But there's 10 points in carsten's HW already, and from what
I know it's not hard to imagine pressure or what not to become
important. That's 30 axes and a limit of 36 axes - if that's not easy to
lift I'd be wary of such an approach.

> There's also the fact that the current approach that Benjamin suggested
> requires an extra client to manage the slave devices.

OTOH, if you're getting serious, there needs to be an instance
translating events into gestures/metaphors anyway. So I don't see the
point of avoiding an instance you're likely to need further on.

[...]
> be the case, but I can foresee the need to write code that scans the
> existing event queue, possibly flushes and rereads, scans again, etc. to
> ensure that the client did actually get all of the events that it was
> interested in.
Maybe the best thing would be to allow for drivers and the protocol to
group events, such that the client knows when he has the whole group. A
group wouldn't be limited to a driver/device, and maybe get an own atom
to identify. Semantics of groups would be up to the client, with help of
props or whatever.

That's 2 additional Xi events, and could work quite good with all the
approaches outlined below. Most boilerplate code might go into libXi. Of
course, that's the classic fast vs. good tradeoff.

Just my 5c,

Simon