[ANNOUNCE] xorg-server 1.8.99.904

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Thu Jul 1 12:24:02 PDT 2010

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 16:15:58 -0300
Fernando Carrijo <fcarrijo at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> For sure the information contained in git logs don't measure how high-level the
> changes are being submitted, but it would be nice to devise some metrics, apart
> from the usual LOC, which could help us visualize the architectural impact
> caused by the big players.

I've wanted such a metric for a long time.  Lines of code is a terrible
metric for work done in general, even if you don't want to make a
distinction between "architectural" and other changes.  Changeset
counts aren't really any better.  Among other things, both create poor
incentives if people actually start to care about the numbers.

That said, I've still not found a better way of trying to measure
"who's doing the work," especially in the context of a high-bandwidth
project like the kernel.  If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears...

jon