Can I interest you in another modules file?

Dirk Wallenstein halsmit at t-online.de
Wed Jul 7 01:08:28 PDT 2010

Hi,
I tried to find part of a policy for modules files, concerning
locations and names, and I would like to hear what you think.

Module ids and local repository base directories should correspond to
package names. This has some benefits:
- It's easier for users, to correlate them to distributed packages.
- Easy versioning with modules-list.txt
- Avoid the need to set an explicit module name (in x-jhbuild)

The local path to the repository should correspond to the online
location with two additions: The modules in the section "Freedesktop.org
Repositories" and "User Repositories" should reside in the local top
level directories 'fdo' and 'people' respectively, to not clutter the
local repo-group root directory.

This would make the local directory layout deducible and relatively
stable, so that users aren't frequently forced to move the sources or
end up with multiple checkouts when checkoutdirs change.

A new modules file:
-------------------
The real nice possibility of testing and bug-squashing by means of
small overriding modulesets, relies on a general moduleset that can be
included by those specific ones. To this end, I have made diverse
changes on top of the current xorg.modules.

I have applied the above policy to that file, and included the build.sh
modules that were already part of the my.modules file in x-jhbuild.

There are two main meta modules: The 'xorg' meta module does contain the
modules that are part of Xorg-7.5 , and the 'ext' meta module should be
similar to what build.sh includes.

I've added big header comments for the sections, to easier skip through
the file. They are always 80 chars in width to make it somewhat
maintainable.

The module-tag dependencies (the previously usable ones) are unmodified,
except for the dependencies introduced in [1].

I would like to ask if this could enter any online repository in some
form, because there is (currently) no easy way to compose modulesets,
apart from inclusion. And it could encourage dependency updates, if
someone spots errors.
I've shuffled and renamed parts in sequence, and there is now quite a
long list of commits. I can rewrite and squash that, but it would also
be ok to just insert the file. Whatever you would prefer.

The shortlog to get a basic overview of what happened (The 'xjh'
prefixed titles are the same patches as in this [2] series):

Dirk Wallenstein (49):
      xjh: Create xjh.modules as a copy of xorg.modules
      xjh: Cleanups without behavioral impact
      xjh: Remove not referenced, duplicated tag for libxtrans
      xjh: Add xcursorgen and fix dependency reference in cursors
      xjh: Add missing dependencies to apps and libs
      xjh: Remove 'git' sub-directory from repo URL
      xjh: Reshuffle tags without behavioral impact
      xjh: Remove ancient obsolete comments
      xjh: Remove obsolete drivers from meta-modules
      xjh: Relocate libdrm below mesa
      Add fonts missing in relation to build.sh
      Add apps missing in relation to build.sh
      Sort xorg-apps dependencies
      Merge all drivers into the xorg-drivers meta module
      Add utils missing in relation to build.sh
      Add xorg-data meta module
      Include apple/windows specific modules
      Rename the module bitmaps to xbitmaps
      Split apps into xorg and ext meta modules
      Add xpr
      Split libs into xorg and ext meta modules
      Merge macros into utils section
      Rename cursors to xcursor-themes
      Split utils into xorg and ext meta modules
      Split fonts into xorg and ext meta modules
      Split drivers into xorg and ext meta modules
      Minimal comment arrangements
      Merge data meta module into data section
      Rename checkoutdirs to module ids
      Create an 'ext' meta module
      Minor formatting change
      Use big section header comments
      Move smaller sections to the bottom
      Reorder main meta module dependencies
      Move font apps into apps section
      Rename macros to util-macros according to package name
      Rename fonts to match package name
      Change case in libXres module id to match package name
      Rename xserver to xorg-server according to package name
      Use xproto instead of x11proto
      Rename libxtrans to xtrans according to package name
      Remove libxkbui dependencies from meta modules
      Move mesa-demos into data section
      Relocate fd.o repositories into fdo folder
      Rename libGL to mesa, so that it matches the package name
      Relocate nouveau driver below fdo
      Add fontconfig to ext-libs and sort ext-libs deps
      Add a comment describing the policy how to add modules
      Whitespace fixes

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-June/009689.html
[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-June/009685.html

--