New approach to multitouch using DIDs and bitmasked events

Timothy Meade zt.tmzt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:34:09 PDT 2010

> I hacked some more today, and I'm not sure we need a separate XI2 event
> type. I'm going to send out another RFC "pull request" with the work
> soon, but as an overview I wanted to work on the "magicmouse" scenario.
> The result is the following:
>
> MT Touchscreen:
>  - Device is marked as a DID
>  - Starts out floating, can't be attached
>  - MT touch coordinates are the first two valuators, XIDeviceEvents are
>    in screen coordinates. However, an app can grab XIRawEvents for
>    device coordinates. *
>  - Since it's a DID, button events are also blocked for core, XI1

In the MT touchscreen case, what does "attached" refer to? I can think
of a MT touchscreen which also has DPAD key input that I might want to
be able to map as a second mouse pointer, or more likely an optical
sensor. In other cases, like the Blackberry Storm/Thunder, there's a
click event on the MT touchscreen.

- tmzt #htc-linux