[Xcb] Porting the rest of the X.Org apps to xcb

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Jul 16 15:08:04 PDT 2010

Mark Kettenis wrote:
>> From: Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com>
>> But every app we port ourselves gives us more insight into what is
>> needed to port apps, and figure out how to make it easier for
>> authors/maintainers of the much more complicated apps out there in
>> the rest of the world.

I also should have mentioned that each app ported is another test case
for xcb to help us find/fix bugs, and another bit of sample code for
others to reference.

> On the other hand, it is also beneficial to leave some of the core
> applications use libX11 to make sure it doesn't suffer too much
> bitrot.

Well, as noted in my original list, I see a lot that just don't make
sense to port or aren't worth the effort, like most of the libXaw programs,
so I'm sure there will be plenty around for a while.   So far the ones
we've ported (x*info / xls* type apps) are atypical clients, not really
serving as good examples/tests of what a normal app does (none of them
even open a window for starters).

And the specific test suite apps (rendercheck, x11perf, XTS) it makes
sense to explicitly keep libX11 code around, even if we make it a
build time configuration, so that we can continue to use it to test
libX11.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com