What's the meaning of XShape, XFixes, Xrender...etc. X extensions.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 02:37:58 PDT 2010

2010/7/22 danny <tornadory at 163.com>:

> I  am in a puzzle about the Xshape, XFixes... so many X extensions, are
> there some pages to explain those?
> I want to know the exact function of these extensions, and the reason they
> appear, but after a long google, I find so less material.

There is a very incomplete selection on the English language Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:X_Window_extensions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:X-based_libraries

Of course, Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not a developer's manual! But
anything listed there should definitely be documented on the Xorg
wiki. (Many as "historical.)

- d.