X.Org modular build problem with xcb

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:38:38 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm trying
to build X.Org from git using the wiki instructions for building the
modular tree found at:
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide

When the util/modular/build.sh script tries to build xcb/libxcb it
fails. The last couple lines of the failure look like this:
Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/trevor/devel/code/xorg.modular/xcb/libxcb/src'
/usr/bin/python ./c_client.py -p
/home/trevor/local/packages/xorg.modular/lib/python2.6/site-packages
/home/trevor/local/packages/xorg.modular/share/xcb/dri2.xml
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./c_client.py", line 1040, in <module>
    module.resolve()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/state.py", line 94, in resolve
    item.resolve(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/xtypes.py", line 405, in resolve
    self.reply.resolve(module)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/xtypes.py", line 369, in resolve
    ComplexType.resolve(self, module)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/xtypes.py", line 296, in resolve
    type = ListType(child, module.get_type(fkey), self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/xtypes.py", line 163,
in __init__
    self.expr = Expression(elts[0] if len(elts) else elt, self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/expr.py", line 70, in __init__
    self.lhs = Expression(list(elt)[0], parent)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/expr.py", line 71, in __init__
    self.rhs = Expression(list(elt)[1], parent)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/expr.py", line 84, in __init__
    raise Exception('XXX')
Exception: XXX
make[1]: *** [dri2.c] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/trevor/devel/code/xorg.modular/xcb/libxcb/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I've attached the entire build log in case the problem is further up.

This problem is reproducible always, and has been happening to me over
the last couple weeks (in other words it wasn't a quick problem that
appeared in the git repository then was fixed). My base system is the
latest openSUSE 11.3. One person has pointed out to me that this
procedure works if using the latest Ubuntu, so it looks like something
in some openSUSE package appears to be colliding with the build's
expectations. Another person pointed out I could route around the
problem by simply commenting out the xcb build portions, however,
seeing how xcb is a rather important component I was hoping to,
someday, understand it better by being able to "tinker" with it, which
I can only do if I can build it from source.

Anything obvious I'm doing wrong here?

Best regards,
    Trevor