X.Org modular build problem with xcb

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 04:43:01 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Gaetan Nadon <memsize at videotron.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 17:38 -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/state.py", line 94, in
> resolve
>     item.resolve(self)
>
> You need the package xcb-proto-1.2 or later which has an xcbgen sub
> directory which gets installed in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages.

Excellent, thank you!

openSUSE 11.3 doesn't have a package called xcb-proto-1.2, but it does
have a package called xorg-x11-proto-devel which includes a whole
bunch of files in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen. That
package was already installed on my system; it seems as though having
it installed was the problem. Trying to uninstall it, however, would
also want to uninstall just about every xorg-*-devel package from my
system, which I assume some parts of which I need to build the latest.

So simply renaming python's xcbgen directory to xcbgen.BAK allowed the
build to continue successfully. Thanks for pointing me in the right
direction.

Best regards,
    Trevor