How to add the screen resoution support in driver?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Jul 29 10:31:05 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:09 +0800, Huang, FrankR wrote:
> Have a question to ask:
> We want to support some wide-screen resolutions in our platform under
> linux. And we hope that can be recognized in the applet
> Preferences->Display->Resolution.
> Can you tell me what the mechanism in that? That is to say, how the
> application under desktop can recognize the resolutions we add?

For pre-RANDR-1.2 style drivers, the mode list is constructed at server
initialization based on the EDID of the attached monitor.  For modern
drivers, the list is built afresh every time the output is queried
(again, from the EDID of whatever happens to be attached).

In either case, gnome-display-properties just looks at the list of modes
the server provides in the RANDR extension.

If your driver can program arbitrary display timings (and it can), then
this is all pretty much automatic.  The only thing you need to
explicitly add support for is if you have some platform method of
getting resolutions from an output that isn't EDID; some Intel chips
have a bare detailed timing somewhere in the video BIOS but no EDID, for
example.

- ajax