Rendering in geode

Jonathan Morton jonathan.morton at movial.com
Fri Jun 18 14:48:23 PDT 2010

On 17 June 2010 10:48, Huang, FrankR <FrankR.Huang at amd.com> wrote:
> What I want to ask is that does driver need handle these all? I think it is a huge burden for the driver to judge. Why the server gave such parameters to driver? Maybe one of this special condition can make the driver rendering result fails, just as geode. And the most important thing is that, if the driver found it can not do that rendering, it is to late for put the rendering back to Xserver SW method.

I suspect that EXA's designers didn't consider hardware quite as
simple as Geode when working out the API.

In fact, I believe they were thinking of the Intel GMA core series,
which requires some setup before use, and is not normally considered a
high-performance solution, but is fairly flexible.  Most PC-style
hardware is either of that type, or considerably more capable (such as
your X1200), or is considered too old to be worth implementing the
Composite function for (eg. original Matrox Mystique).

An unfortunate fact of EXA is that you need to throughly understand
XRender's requirements when implementing the Composite function.  This
is fairly poorly documented.

 - Jonathan Morton