multitouch

Artem Ananiev Artem.Ananiev at Sun.COM
Mon Mar 1 05:25:48 PST 2010

On 3/1/2010 3:41 PM, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:42:40PM +0100, Bradley T. Hughes wrote:
>> On 03/01/2010 12:22 PM, ext Daniel Stone wrote:
>>> and so on, and so forth ... would this be useful enough to let you take
>>> multi-device rather than some unpredictable hybrid?
>>
>> It would for me, absolutely. This avoids the multi-device grab problem
>> described by Peter earlier, but I'm unsure how well it works given that
>> we still lack the user/gesture context (as described by Peter).
>
> Any suggestions? :) Reference to how OS X and/or Windows implement it
> would be welcome too.

In a few words, Windows expects all the subsequent touch events to occur
on the same window as the first touch. If I press another window, the
corresponding WM_TOUCH notification is just skipped - not sent to the
client. I'm not sure about explicit mouse grab (SetCapture() call), though.

Gestures and touch events are mutually exclusive on Windows: one can
either receive WM_GESTURE or WM_TOUCH messages, but not the both. In the
latter case, I can feed the gestures engine manually, though, but again,
if I don't receive touch events for different windows, I can't make the
gestures engine recognize gestures for different windows.

In other words, Windows doesn't bother about user/gesture context at
all. If a client needs some complex manipulations (e.g. multiple users
interacting a large touch table), the native system doesn't provide any
help for that - just listen to the low-level touch events and write your
custom gestures recognizer.

Thanks,

Artem