Updated requested feedback on video driver design

Maupin, Chase chase.maupin at ti.com
Mon Mar 1 06:56:16 PST 2010

Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback.  Our driver team is looking into the drm KMS interface based on your feedback.  I have some additional notes added below.

Sincerely,
Chase Maupin
Software Applications
Catalog DSP Products
e-mail: chase.maupin at ti.com
phone: (281) 274-3285

For support:
Forums - http://community.ti.com/forums/
Wiki - http://wiki.davincidsp.com/

We'll look into changing the name for clarity.

> Lastly, is there any way to map the current storage, analogous to
> mmap()ing /dev/fbX on OMAP3 and below today, or is usage restricted to
> queue()? If so, how are buffers created for submission to queue()?

If the driver allocates the buffer then you should be able to mmap it as you would normally do with FBDev.  However, it is possible for the application to create and submit the buffers for use, as long as they are physically contiguous.  On TI systems this is normally done with the cmem module which handles shared physically contiguous buffers.