HDMI audio on i945GT

Wil nodenet at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 3 13:10:01 PST 2010

I’ve been doing some poking about to see if it is possible to get HDMI audio
working via the HDMI output of my ABIT iL-90MV. It is currently my belief
that the xf86-video-intel driver does not support HDMI Audio on the i945GT
chipset?

I'm utilising

(II) LoadModule: "intel"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so
(II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

on 2.6.31-gentoo-r6

Although video works fine via HDMI I’ve confirmed that the driver itself
does not detect my HDMI output presumably this is something to do with the
EDID process? Specifically the is_hdmi flag is being set false during check
hdmi. If I manually set the SDVO_AUDIO_ENABLE flag and the is_hdmi flag
there is no change. I can however trick the Alsa patch_intelhdmi into giving
me an HDMI audio connector, this of course does not work. What I’m trying to
establish is whether or not it’s going to be practical to get this working
i.e. how much work is involved and if it’s not too bad whereabouts in the
code to start looking and perhaps some hints on what needs changing. If
someone could shed some more light on this it would be appreciated, I can of
course post additional details as required.

Will Wiseman