[RFC] Multitouch support, step one

Henrik Rydberg rydberg at euromail.se
Tue Mar 16 14:10:57 PDT 2010

Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 02:42:15PM +0100, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
>> 1. User space wants details, but also consistent behavior for all devices
>> supporting multitouch.
>
> On that aspect, wouldn't it make sense to have a user-side gesture
> manager process with the same kind of status the window manager has?
> It could generate synthetic events with new types such as zoom in/out,
> rotate, etc, but also decide when to forward simple clics, drags...
>
> Ultimately, it's where multiplayer experiments could be done.
>
>   OG.

That would be interesting, yes. Regarding the gestures, there seems to be a
general consensus that a library and/or various drivers/managers can work
together to produce all sorts of fun multitouch and multiuser effects. We only
need to get the underlying contact interface in place first -- in one form or
the other.

Henrik