[RFC] Multitouch support, step one

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Mar 16 18:32:04 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 03:41:24PM +0100, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> > Multi-touch as defined in this proposal is limited to single input-point
> > multi-touch. This is suitable for indirect touch devices (e.g. touchpads)
> > and partially suited for direct touch devices provided a touch is equivalent
> > to a single-gesture single-application input.
>
> User-space applications need tools to *use* MT devices, not route raw data from
> the devices to the application. The latter is not much more complicated than
> opening a file, and everyone can do that already. Thus, unless there is a model
> for how MT devices work and interact with other MT devices, I see little point
> in having an X protocol at all.

This is true, but we actually want to punt responsibility to the clients
here; some kind of common gesture-recognition library would be nice to
avoid duplicate work.

> The number of dimensions also increases dramatically, as pointed out by Mr.
> Poole. It makes much more sense to define contacts as multiple instances of the
> same thing, than to define each new contact as potentially something completely
> different.

Sure, but we don't have the knowledge to classify it as such.  So it
means that we'd have to send the event to the client, then have the
client make probably multiple round trips to update the grouping.  And
since the server doesn't have anything meaningful to do with the
grouping, the only benefit would be in the state the client sees.  This
would be pretty disastrous for latency.

> The idea of adding and removing contacts dynamically I believe is a good idea. A
> contact has a set of attributes (x, y, etc). Why not provide a clean interface
> for the contacts as a concept, rather than mapping the not-so-independent x and
> y values into separate dynamic entities? As an example of the smallest
> meaningful dynamic entity:
>
> struct Contact {
> 	int tracking_id;
> 	float x, y;
> 	etc etc...
> };

The x, y, etc are the valuators and you have a tracking ID, so Peter's
proposed API seems to fit this (it'd be nice if the server only
_actually_ recycled tracking numbers when all buttons/fingers were up,
or somesuch).

> > Core requires us to always send x/y, hence for core emulation we should
> > always include _some_ coordinates that are easily translated. While the
> > server does caching of absolute values, I think it would be worthwile to
> > always have an x/y coordinate _independent of the touchpoints_ in the event.
> > The driver can decide which x/y coordinates are chosen if the first
> > touchpoint becomes invalid.
>
> Seconded, but the single-touch x/y coordinates are properties of a contact
> group, not of a single contact. Example:
>
> struct ContactGroup {
> 	int group_id;
> 	float x, y;
> 	ContactList list;
> 	etc etc...
> };

Yep, and if the toolkit is doing the grouping internally, then the
toolkit can handle this.  As I said, this could be a common library.

> > A device exposing several axes _and_ multitouch axes will need to be
> > appropriately managed by the driver. In this case, the "right" thing to do
> > is likely to expose non-MT axes first and tack the MT axes onto the back.
> > Some mapping may need to be added.
> >
> > The future addition of real multitouch will likely require protocol changes.
> > These changes will need to include a way of differentiating a device that
> > does true multitouch from one that does single-point multi-touch.
> >
> > That's it, pretty much (well, not much actually). Feel free to poke holes
> > into this proposal.
>
> Ok, in conclusion, my two cents are: Do not add MT functionality as evaluators
> in X, but implement a proper Contact interface from the start.

Valuators are the lowest common denominator interface we can implement.
If we develop something better on top that we can move into the protocol
without completely blowing input response time out of the water, then we
can look at that and deprecate the use of valuators for MT.

Cheers,
Daniel