Multitouch followup: gesture recognition?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Mar 26 06:32:59 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 07:58:46PM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:02:55AM +0100, Florian Echtler wrote:
> > On one hand, I agree. But I believe that this problem is exactly what my
> > formalism solves. By a) allowing applications to customize gestures and
> > b) restricting them to certain screen regions (*), this isn't a
> > contradiction anymore. E.g. what's a zoom gesture to the first app on
> > one region will split into two separate move gestures for two regions
> > for the other one. Of course, the ability to get raw data should always
> > be preserved.
> >
> > (*) whether these should be XWindows or something different, I don't
> > know yet. Is there an extension that allows arbitrary shapes for XWindow
> > objects, particularly with respect to input capture?
>
> the Shape extension does that.

Yes, except you don't want to use it, because it would throw in far too
many round trips, some of which might be delayed for ridiculously long
periods of time, even while new events continue to be delivered.

So, you basically want to keep it all in-client unless it's absolutely
strictly necessary to do otherwise.

Cheers,
Daniel