Per-output DPMS?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon May 3 07:55:23 PDT 2010

I get quite a few bug reports from people using gnome-power-manager
who want to turn off the internal laptop panel when docked, and turn
the external panel on. On idle, the external panel should then blank,
and then just the external panel should return to life when the mouse
is moved.

Ideally I could set a per-output DPMS setting, although I guess the
same affect could be done with XRandr and turning the output off,
although this takes a few seconds to come back on, and upsets the
screen geometry. What's a sane thing to do in this case? Do I really
want to switch off the output?

Thanks,

Richard.