Proposal for per-CRTC pixmaps in RandR

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri May 7 16:55:56 PDT 2010

On Fri, 07 May 2010 15:21:57 -0400, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:

> I suspect that'll be cleaner.  I do like the idea of SetWindowPixmap,
> it's just subtle, and seems out of scope for CRTC pixmaps.

I feared the GL issues more, but perhaps it won't be nearly as
bad.

> What I was getting at was more like: If you SWP, unmap, and remap, do
> you keep the same old storage?

Ok, that is subtle.

> That's not quite true, or at least, the illusion is not complete.  If I
> have an Automatic window, name its pixmap, and draw to the pixmap,
> nothing will show up on screen until some side effect happens; the
> damage listener is on the Window.  Likewise most compositors listen for
> damage on the Window, not the Pixmap.

Nothing shows up in the root pixmap in this new case either; the fact
that this pixmap may be a scanout pixmap mapped to a crtc is entirely
separate.

> More broadly, Damage doesn't know the two names are the same drawable.
> It might make sense to have Damage always listen on the window pixmap
> and translate coordinates if the listener was on a Window name.

Actually, damage does, and drawing to the pixmap while listening for
damage to the window should dtrt.

keith.packard at intel.com