Smooth scrolling

Max Schwarz Max at x-quadraht.de
Sat May 22 13:54:36 PDT 2010

Hi,

I got my simple testbench to work now:
xorg-input-evdev sends high resolution scroll information generated by the
wheel emulation code into the server, and my client app (pscrolltest) receives
it along with resolution information.

I will start implementing the feature in toolkits and if needed single
applications now. Qt looks fairly easy, as they have a "delta" field in their
QWheelEvent class which I could use.
GTK/GDK is a completely different matter, though. They use a "GdkEventScroll",
which is sent out once per scroll wheel button press. This means I can't use
it directly (adding a delta field of some sort), because current applications
relying on this behaviour will stop working / scroll uncontrollably.

Anyone got an idea for that one? I think I will ask on the gtk mailing list as
well. My proposal would be to introduce a new event type for higher resolution
scrolling, but perhaps it can be avoided.

Anyway, my code is available for anyone interested at
http://github.com/x-quadraht/pscroll

Max