xserver autotools questions

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sun May 23 10:34:14 PDT 2010

Hey all,

First, it's been bugging me that a full build of the X server takes so
long, since I keep changing header files that are used everywhere. I
believe switching to non-recursive automake and killing the
intermediate libraries for each subdirectory would help a lot, but
when I tried to test that hypothesis, the mass of configure.ac
declarations defeated me. Can any autotools experts help me out here?

Second, I want to factor out code that's shared between two or more
DDXes into a common place. My first target is merging
dmxComputeScreenOrigins with xf86InitOrigins, because I had to make
almost-identical edits to both for a MAXSCREENS removal patch I just
built. Where should that go, and how do I get autotools to link it
correctly?

Thanks,
Jamey