xf86-video-intel: 2 commits - src/i830_dri.c src/i830.h src/i830_uxa.c src/i915_render.c

Chris Wilson ickle at kemper.freedesktop.org
Sat May 29 03:47:05 PDT 2010

On Sat, 29 May 2010 12:20:30 +0200, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> On Sam, 2010-05-29 at 02:42 -0700, Chris Wilson wrote:
> >
> > commit 44d45d3fa56f121ce89ffe5b28beb48be01a95df
> > Author: Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>
> > Date:   Sat May 29 10:39:28 2010 +0100
> >
> >     dri: Use size from backing pixmap when creating buffers.
> >
> >     This avoid using the garbage values stored in the Screen drawable,
>
> What 'screen drawable' is this referring to, and why does it have
> 'garbage' dimensions? Sounds like this works around a problem that
> should rather be fixed.

The drawable associated with the Screen. It appears to have a different
size to that of the pixmap associated with the screen. I haven't
identified the disconnect between the two since the driver code simply
generates the buffer for the pixmap based on the Screen size.

> > instead of the true values which are only maintained in its backing
> >     pixmap.
>
> Using the backing pixmap dimensions for this is not desirable. In
> particular, it means that the DRI2 buffers of non-redirected windows
> always have the same size as the screen. But even for redirected windows
> it wastes some graphics memory with a re-parenting window manager, that
> is if it doesn't break in various ways due to the top left corner of the
> DRI2 buffers no longer corresponding to the top left corner of the
> window.

Ho hum. Right. It was working so well for fixing page-flipping of the
Screen under the compositing window manager...