[Fwd: Google Code-In: Do we want to partcipate?]

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Nov 4 08:01:20 PDT 2010

Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 15:47 Mon 25 Oct     , Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> At today's Board meeting we agreed this seems like a good thing to do, and
>> Donnie agreed to submit the X.Org application to participate, with everyone
>> else helping out to mentor students as needed.
>>
>> I've created a page in the wiki to start brainstorming task ideas, since the
>> Summer of Code ideas are for much bigger projects than can fit in the time
>> allowed for this program - please add your own ideas to it:
>>
>> 	http://www.x.org/wiki/GoogleCodeInIdeas
>
> By the way -- if you can mentor for an idea, please add your name next
> to it in parentheses. Your idea is unlikely to happen without a mentor.
> Projects will be small, along the lines of 1-3 days, so it's not a major
> ongoing commitment.

I've added that note to the wiki page, along with the latest guidance I saw on
the Google mailing list:

   The primary requirement for a new task is that it be specific. It helps if
   it's relatively small, but there's nothing wrong with challenging students
   with bigger tasks ;). The idea is to have tasks take students at most 2-4
   days with 2-3 hrs of work a day, but obviously that will vary with student
   skills.

Not many ideas have been added yet - certainly people have seen things in bug
triaging or code review that they've thought "Someone with a spare day should
do this" but never had a spare day to handle themselves.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com