[RFC] Multi-Touch (MT) support - arbitration or not

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Mon Nov 8 13:54:51 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Benjamin Tissoires <tissoire at cena.fr> wrote:
> Le 08/11/2010 04:51, Peter Hutterer a écrit :
>>
>> fwiw, I'm not sure "arbitrate" is the right word here, filtering seems
>> easier to understand in this context. I guess "arbitrate" would apply more
>> if we emit the events across multiple devices like in the bamboo case.
>> that's mostly bikeshedding though, my points below apply regardless of
>> what
>> word we choose :)
>>
>> note that we also have two different approaches - single kernel device or
>> multiple kernel devices and depending on the approach the device uses the
>> options below have different advantages and disadvantages.
>>
>> the tablets I've dealt with so far exposed a single event device, so
>> that's
>> what I'm focusing on in this email.
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 11:47:28AM -0700, Ping Cheng wrote:
>>>
>>> Recent changes and discussion about MT support at LKML, UDS, and
>>> xorg-devel encouraged me to migrate Wacom MT devices to the slot-based
>>> MT protocol (introduced in kernel 2.6.36). Since Wacom supports both
>>> digitizer and touch devices, I need to decide how to report touch data
>>> when the pen is in proximity.
>>>
>>> My goal is to understand how X server would like the MT data to be
>>> reported from the kernel. I hope to keep kernel and X server driver MT
>>> support in sync so we can avoid unnecessary confusion or extra work in
>>> the userland.
>>>
>>> The existing solution for single touch events is to arbitrate touch
>>> when pen is in prox. This is based on the assumption that we do not
>>> want to have two cursors competing on the screen.
>>>
>>> With the introduction of MT, the touch data are most likely translated
>>> into something other than pointer events. So, reporting both pen and
>>> touch data makes sense now. However, I want to assure a smooth
>>> tansition from single touch to MT for end users so they still get the
>>> single touch behavior as they used to be. I gathered the following
>>> approaches:
>>>
>>> 1.     Arbitrate all touch data in the kernel.
>>>
>>> This is the simplest solution for device driver developers. But I do
>>> not feel it is end user and userland client friendly.
>>
>> I'm strongly opposed to this. kernel filtering of these devices is hard to
>> circumvent and there _will_ be use-cases where we need more than one tool
>> work simultaneously. right now we're worrying about pen + touch, but what
>> stops tablets from becoming large enough to be used by 2+ users with 2+
>> pens simultaneously?
>>
>> from a purely event-stream focused viewpoint: why do we even care whether
>> something is a pen or a touch? both are just tools and how these should be
>> used is mostly up to the clients anyway.  IMO, the whole point of
>> MT_TOOL_TYPE is that we don't have to assume use-cases for the tools but
>> just forward the information to someone who knows how to deal with this.
>>
>>> 2.     Report first finger touch as ABS_X/Y events when pen is not in
> [...]

I think we may be mixing some topics and so I'd like to try to
re-frame the discussion.

There are two different cases and they may have different answers
because of it.

Case 1) 1 input device can support multiple tools that are in
proximity at same time.

I believe this is currently a theoretical example (no driver exists like this).

In RFC example, this input devices has a pen and 2 finger touches.
They all share ABS_X/Y/PRESSURE values.  The single touch (ST) input
filtering breaks being able to support this case and what multitouch
events (MT) were added for.

To date, when converting drivers over to MT events the guideline is
*always* send MT events (because what app wants to randomly switch
between MT event processing and ST event processing for same
X/Y/PRESSURE?) and send something sane for ST events to be backwards
compatible with older apps.

I think everyone is happy in this thread to always send pen+touch MT
events and let X drivers or similar filter/arbitrate out unwanted
touch events as needed.

The ideal "sane" behavior for touch ST events has been leaning towards
tracking 1st touch and continue sending 1st touch during multi-touch
but there is some debate because tracking can be expensive in kernel.
In case of pen+touch, the sane may change to prefer pen over touch and
prefer first touch when 2 touches exist.

Or "sane" can mean let the ST values go crazy during multi-touch and
hope user can use GUI enough after new kernel install to get a
MT-aware X driver.

Its easy to implement preferring pen then preferring 1st touch so I
suggest doing that.  This is for backwards compatibility only
(un-modified xf86-input-wacom/synaptics/evdev/etc).  The future is MT
events, in which case the ST events are meaningless and we are hiding
nothing to applications that look at MT events.

Case 2) 2 input devices can support multiple tools in proximity at same time.

I believe it was Rafi that brought up point that dual pen+touch
interfaces will have different properties.  Touch will be lower
resolution then Pen and maybe different fuzz factor.  Also, on tablets
I would think pretty easy to have different dimensions (one tool works
over larger area of tablet).  This is easy to expose to user when 2
input devices.

Combining into single input to user would be nice but at least when
dimensions are different, we probably do not want to remove that
visibility to user and so must keep 2 input devices.

In this case, the RFC example becomes 2 touches on 1 input device and
1 pen on another input device.

So using same MT guidelines, the touch input device would always send
MT events and always send ST events tracking the first touch.

For pen input, ST-only events are OK because its not competing with
anything being in proximity at same time.  But we may wish to also
send MT events for this 1 tool/slot as a hint to X drivers that
somehow this input corresponds with another input device and so it
needs to do filtering/arbitration.  We also need to somehow give info
to applications so they can bind these 2 inputs.

Also, non-MT ware drivers are also same apps that will not know how to
bind 2 input devices and so can't filter/arbitrate the unwanted
touches.  So problem, we do want to filter ST events on touch input
when pen is in proximity.

There are lots of things needing to be addressed for this 2nd case so
I'll not really give a personal opinion.  My opinion is likely to
change as we make individual decisions.

Chris