X11R7.6 Release Candidate 1

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Fri Nov 12 09:34:17 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 07:24 -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> > XCB: are the newly added xcb packages now officially part of X.Org?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so, should their git repo be hosted under 'xorg/' in the
> appropriate
> > proto/lib section? This is about the only hint for new contributors
> as
> > to which package belongs to X.Org and which one does not.
>
> I don't know if moving them is going to be a good idea - won't that
> break
> everyone's existing links/clones?

The git URL will change from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xcb to
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg.
Build scripts will need to be updated.

Just like code, packages get added, removed or renamed. There is a short
term cost of making the change and a long term cost of not making the
change. On a regular basis we have to explain to casual contributors
that mesa, xcdb, pixman and xkeyboard-config do not belong to X.Org. The
git URL is (or was, until now) the only way to tell which package is
really under X.Org.

It would not be unreasonable to propose it, given there is a full
release to make appropriate adjustments.

Thanks
Gaet