build.sh broken on Solaris 10

Thomas Dickey dickey at his.com
Fri Nov 12 13:25:17 PST 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, wucan wrote:

> On 11/12/2010 06:09 AM, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
>>
>>> According to "man sh" on my Debian distro:
>>
>> That's probably the bash manpage, since you're quoting from it.
>>
> s/bash/dash/

fwiw, man bash gives

        local [option] [name[=value] ...]
               For  each  argument, a local variable named name is created, and
               assigned value.  The option can be any of the  options  accepted
               by declare.  When local is used within a function, it causes the
               variable name to have a visible scope restricted to  that  func-
               tion and its children.  With no operands, local writes a list of
               local variables to the standard output.  It is an error  to  use
               local when not within a function.  The return status is 0 unless
               local is used outside a function, an invalid name  is  supplied,
               or name is a readonly variable.

BUGS
        There are some subtle differences between bash and traditional versions
        of sh, mostly because of the POSIX specification.

man dash gives

      Variables may be declared to be local to a function by using a local com-
      mand.  This should appear as the first statement of a function, and the
      syntax is

            local [variable | -] ...

      Local is implemented as a builtin command.

HISTORY
      dash is a POSIX-compliant implementation of /bin/sh that aims to be as
      small as possible.  dash is a direct descendant of the NetBSD version of
      ash (the Almquist SHell), ported to Linux in early 1997.  It was renamed
      to dash in 2002.

(neither identifies it as an extension, and dash is supposed to use fewer
extensions, making scripts based on it more portable).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net