Smooth scrolling again

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sun Nov 14 10:17:50 PST 2010

On 11/14/10 00:18, Max Schwarz wrote:
> My proposal would be to make an XINotifyDeviceChanged(DeviceIntPtr dev)
> function available to the drivers. It would simply copy the values from the
> device to a DeviceChangedEvent and send it via XISendDeviceEvent().
> Such a function could also replace code in other places in the server (see
> RecalculateMasterButtons() in dix/devices.c).
I guess XISendDeviceChangedEvent may be called from divers, though this
is probably a layer violation.

> The clients depend on XIDeviceChangedEvents anyway to acquire the new
> resolution when the user switches input devices (see pscrolltest.c).
Though that sounds fine, I think the event is intended for master/slave
issues. That's deep in spec land, however. Read up and see if it fits.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/inputproto/tree/XI2proto.txt

> Are the drivers "allowed" to access the valuator structure
> (e.g. dev->valuator->axis[0].resolution = XY) or should I implement wrapper
> functions in the server to do that?
It depends on whether the server can operate properly without wrappers,
i.e. whether some complex state needs wrangling. In that particular
case, I'm leaning slightly towards wrapping.

> Sorry for asking many questions, are there any specs/guidelines I could use
> instead of pestering you all?
Sure - http://wiki.x.org/wiki/DeveloperStart
But it contains bits of varying outdatedness.

But in general, I don't mind being pestered if something usable seems
likely to emerge from it.

Cheers,

Simon