Some doubt about the dispatch method

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Nov 15 09:07:29 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:30 AM, 杨如鹏 <orbbyrp at gmail.com> wrote:
>         I'm new to Xorg,and now I'm starting trying to study it.I
> read from the main method,and now I'm reading the dispatch method in
> dix/dispatch.c.I have some doubts about it.I think it can send message
> to the client,but I haven't seen any method call explicit to do
> that.So I want to know how the XServer send message to the client in
> the dispatch method.

The best overall server documentation I'm aware of is the "Definition
of the Porting Layer":

http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.5/doc/core/Xserver-spec.html

You might be looking for the sections titled "Scheduling and Request
Delivery" and "Sending Events, Errors And Replies To Clients".

Note that many responses are sent directly by individual requests'
dispatch procedures, such as ProcGetWindowAttributes.

Jamey