How to get a list of windows and process mapping

Rami Ylimäki rami.ylimaki at vincit.fi
Wed Nov 17 09:00:02 PST 2010

  On 11/17/2010 06:41 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Adam Majer<adamm at zombino.com>  wrote:
>> Is there a method of getting a list of all the
>> windows on a given display or screen? Is there a method of mapping
>> these Windows to host/pid?
> Maybe having a look at "xwininfo" (and its sources) will help get you started?
> $ xwininfo -root -tree -wm

We are currently implementing a better mechanism to identify resource
owners/clients with X resource extension v1.2:
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-November/015538.html.

It will still take a few weeks to implement that so with current X
server versions you need to do it the xrestop/xwininfo way.

-- Rami