[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-glide 1.1.0

Guillem Jover guillem at hadrons.org
Wed Nov 17 19:42:20 PST 2010

Hi!

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 08:05:21 -0500, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 04:20 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> >       build: Use LT_INIT instead of deprecated AC_PROG_LIBTOOL and
> > AC_DISABLE_STATIC
>
> LT_INIT requires libtool v2 whereby xorg "lowest common denominator" is
> v1.5.

Oh, didn't know that.

> I suspect that in real life almost everyone uses v2. If I
> understand correctly, when configured with v2, libtool copies a handful
> of v2 macros in the m4 directory (only if available). This allows a
> system with v1.5 to use the v2 macros.

autoreconf should copy all used macros into aclocal.m4 and the templates
for the libtool script, so that you don't need those on the build system.
Any missing macro should be detected by way of m4_pattern_forbid or at
“make dist” time. The version of libtool used should in theory matter
only on the system the person doing autoreconf runs it on.

> I am considering upgrading all of xorg to libtool v2 (only formalizing
> the current situation). I am interested in the feedback you may get from
> builders on that matter.

I would not expect any problem from people building from the tarballs
due to the libtool version. It could be an issue when building from git
though.

> Consider adding:
>
>         AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])
>
> But do not add in the makefile:
>
>         ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4
>
> unless you have a macro in m4 subdir that is stored in git.

Ah yes will do, thanks.

Something else that's slightly annoying when doing autoreconf are the
warnings due to invalid characters for the bug address in AC_INIT,
specifically '?' and '=' in the bugzilla URL.

regards,
guillem