[RFC XI 2.1 - xserver 7/9] Reorder AxisInfo elements

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Thu Nov 18 07:31:30 PST 2010

On 11/17/2010 06:42 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> fwiw, I don't really see a need to differ between major/minor ABI. It's just
> a number and we have a fair way to go before we run out of integers. And not
> having to remember which one was major/minor in the driver ifdefs is
> helpful.

Except that a major bump causes all the input drivers to fail to load
until they are rebuilt. If you just bump the minor number, we don't need
to rebuild things. While it's not a huge deal, it is a pain when I try
to provide packages in PPAs for people to test and develop with.

> so for all I care, we can bump the major number again, but I'd like to do
> this not immediately, but rather when we know that we likely won't need
> another bump this cycle.
> Since the major motivation here is the MT work and the changes aren't
> immediately needed for other stuff, I'd like to hold this back on the MT
> branch and then cherry-pick over when we have a clearer picture. Does this
> make sense?

That would be fine except I would like to push masked valuators into
evdev. I can't do that without the extra helper functions. Since adding
the helper functions is backwards compatible, why not just leave the
major ABI as is and merge the change?

> We have some time left in the devel cycle when we can merge the ABI bump (we
> don't have to care about ABI stability until the last month).

Good to know :).

Thanks,

-- Chase