Respository vandalism by root at ...fd.o

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed Nov 24 03:58:13 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 08:27:12PM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On 24/11/10 19:38 , Luc Verhaegen wrote:
>>
>> Conspiracy theories?
>
> I did not imply that you were the one starting with the conspiracy
> theories, and I think strictly speaking there was no name-calling in
> that thread either so I have overshot the target and I apologise.
> Correct the above to "the usual fights", that at least is obvious.
>
> Anyway, the best approach to solving issues like this is to go to the
> list and say "hey guys, this isn't funny, it raises trust issues when
> that happens." Which is exactly what your first email did, and the first
> subsequent ones. The thread then went haywire quickly, initiated by a
> number of people, and that is unnecessary.
>
> At this point we have found the guilty parties, we have a publicly
> expressed regret, the consequences of removed root access, and we should
> move on to the more on-topic questions Eirik raised.
>
> If you want to raise the issue of how the radeonhd project was treated
> or the methods of said hardware vendor, I suggest starting a new thread
> because I don't think this one will go anywhere useful at this point.
>
> Cheers,
>   Peter

It is highly related though, the stunt pulled here just underlines the
situation the project is in for anyone not belonging to the right crowd,
and that directly affects the future of X.org.

Heck, part of the reason why so many go crazy over any X replacement
project can be attributed to this.

Luc Verhaegen.