[DOC] Re: java OutOfMemory building documentation

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Oct 3 09:38:22 PDT 2010

Dan Nicholson wrote:
>>> .pre:
>>>     @dir=`echo $@ | sed 's,\(.*\)/.*,\1,'`; $(MKDIR_P) $$dir
>> Shouldn't this be able to be simplified to just:
>>        @$(MKDIR_P) $(@D)
>>
>> I thought we previously determined that was portable to all the versions
>> of make people used.
>
> I thought that was a GNU make thing, but if not it's definitely the
> way to go. I don't actually have any other make's to look at.

I know Solaris make supports it, and the D & F suffix are included in the
POSIX/UNIX standards for the 5 "internal macros" ($@, $%, $?, $M, $>):
   http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/make.html

I seem to remember BSD developers confirming it worked with their make as
well a few months ago when I proposed a patch using it, but can't find the
message off hand for reference.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com