Would you mind integrate a new keyboard layout ?

Philippe Combes Philippe.Combes at enseeiht.fr
Wed Oct 27 06:21:37 PDT 2010

Dear Xorg developers,

I have developed and tested (under Ubuntu 10.04) a new keyboard layout
which I would like to share. I have just thought the best way was
integrating it upstream in XOrg packages.

This layout is designed to meet the needs of all french people who
study ancient greek. Those people mostly use "ancient greek fonts"
which give the 'a' an alpha shape, and so on... This is not portable
at all, and so very annoying. Many have understood that it is better
to use unicode greek fonts ; but they only have the Greek-Polytonic
keyboard layout for that, which does not suit well french keyboards
(AZERTY). Writing all sorts of ancient greek accents is a nightmare
for them, and they are seldom computer advanced users.

So my first question is: would you think it deserves being integrated
in XOrg releases ?
If it does, I need your advice about the best way to proceed. My task
was easier starting from the standard french layout than from the
greek polytonic one. So I configured it as a standalone new layout
which I called ogr (I had no good idea about the name). But you may
rather integrate it as a variant of the greek layout, such as gr-fr.

Looking forward to read your opinions and advice,
regards,
Philippe Combes