removing PCI dependency from xserver

Vignatti Tiago (Nokia-MS/Helsinki) tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Wed Sep 1 09:41:46 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 06:17:58PM +0200, ext Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 18:00 +0300, Tiago Vignatti wrote:
>
> > Please, I need feedback here to keep with this work. Mark, do you have
> > some
> > suggestions how to proceed? Once I've done with 1. and .2 I can roll
> > my
> > bus-cleanup-take3 tree [2] again and conditionalize libpciaccess from
> > the
> > server.
>
> If you do succeed in making libpciaccess conditional, you should review
> the configuration of all 55 drivers listed in util/modular/build.sh. Some
> assume libpciaccess is always available, others treat it as optional as it
> may have been so in the past. Many drivers build the lastest versions with
> older servers.

I think this is an orthogonal problem. New drivers still want to use old
servers, so that's the reason of that mess on driver side [0]. For now, I just
want to make the server be not-PCIism anymore, so if one would want it, then
would be optional.

Anyway, thanks for point this out Gaetan!

[0] glue drivers within the server would solve it.

             Tiago