dead code in build.sh?

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Mon Sep 20 07:02:28 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 00:39 -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:

> The build wiki page on the fd.o site talks about building from
> tarballs but suggests using the "build-from-tarballs.sh" script
> instead of the "build.sh" script. Is the checkfortars() function code
> that is being used in some way, or is it a left-over from something
> else?

I know that, generally speaking, people build from tarballs, but I am
not aware if they do so
from build.sh. The build-from-tarballs script hasn't seen its module
list updated in 2 years.
As hinted recently, this is duplication of modules list.

When building from a tarball, I suppose, but I am not sure, that it is
mostly for
obtaining a previous version, or the latest published version as opposed
to git master.
There is no need to recreate the configuration, just running ./configure
and make install.

Note that autogen.sh is not part of the GNU packaging architecture and
is not shipped in tarballs.
If it helps, you can ignore that file and invoke "autoreconf -vfi"
followed by
./configure --enable-maintainer-mode.

You can find some background info on module configuration you can expect
to be there as
a result of project policy: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/NewModuleGuidelines

To find out if the directory contains a fresh clone, you can check for
the presence of some files
generated by autoreconf. You can rely on Makefile.am to be present in
all xorg modules root dir.

It will help to inventory the files created as a result of run
autoreconf vs ./configure. Keep in mind
that the tarball generally gets created on one platform (say GNU/Linux)
and gets configured and built
on another (say Solaris). The developer scenario from git blurs the
distinction between these steps.

Gaetan