dead code in build.sh?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Sep 21 15:41:24 PDT 2010

Gaetan Nadon wrote:
>> I've still had other problems with 2.x deciding to drop linker options
>> it didn't want me to use.   And of course, hacking install.sh to never
>> install a .la file improves things a lot.
> AC_DISABLE_STATIC (called before AC_PROG_LIBTOOL) should do that, or
> calling ./configure
> with --disable-static. Sorry, I can only suggests trivial solutions.

.la, not .a - we already build with --disable-static, but libtool tries
to install libfoo.la files with metadata that's stored in the ELF objects
on most platforms now, and which causes libtool to do stupid things when
found if installed, like linking with the wrong -R flags.   Fortunately,
since libtool falls back to saner defaults for non-libtool libraries without
.la files, we just skip them to allow for that.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com