First pass at X11R7.6 katamari list

Dirk Wallenstein halsmit at t-online.de
Thu Sep 23 07:51:21 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 06:02:30AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Dirk Wallenstein <halsmit at t-online.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 06:30:01AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry to hijack this thread, but I wanted to throw out a half baked
> >> idea I've had kicking around my head for a while. I'd like it if we
> >> could get the katamari set included as a jhbuild moduleset in the
> >> modular repo and then have modular released with the katamari. The
> >> idea being that the answer to "how do I build Xorg-7.6?" is to grab
> >> xorg-modular-7.6.tar.gz from
> >> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.6/ and use the included
> >> moduleset with jhbuild. While I'm aware that the preferred way to get
> >> X is through your distro, I still think it should be possible to
> >> easily get vanilla X.
> >>
> >> What do you think? It would basically require you to turn this module
> >> list into a jhbuild moduleset (not a small amount of work, but just
> >> maintenance after the initial conversion), and to add a little bit of
> >> autotooling to modular (easy) so it can be disted at katamari time.
> >
> > The moduleset posted here [1] contains module-ids and checkoutdirs that
> > correspond to the package-name.  With that moduleset it is possible to
> > just use sed to append a 'tag' attribute after each 'checkoutdir'
> > attribute to create a Xorg-7.6 moduleset from a module-list.txt file.
>
> Sorry for not looking at that earlier. Now I pulled it down, and there
> are definitely some nice improvements over the current module list.
> Does it need to be separate, though? It would be nice to get those
> fixes directly into xorg.modules.

No, the only reason is that the checkoutdirs change and current users
would pull down duplicated repositories.  But if we could agree on a
policy for checkoutdir locations it would surely be better to have only
one master moduleset.

> However, what I'm searching for here is the actual tarball
> information, not git tags. This is what I want:
>
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/releng/2.30.2/gnome-suites-2.30.2.modules

Ah, I see.

> I'd like it if Xorg could do a moduleset for each major release. As
> you can see, gnome has a wide variety of modulesets:
>
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/modulesets
>
> I certainly don't think Xorg needs nearly that level of detail, but
> one for devel (git) and one for each katamari (released tarballs)
> seems reasonable.

Fully agreed.  I guess this script and a similar deps-list can be used
to create the katamari modulesets:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/scripts/mk-tarball-moduleset.py
http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/scripts/gnome-2.6.deps

--