Translating/localizing X.Org apps

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Sep 26 13:04:27 PDT 2010

Several of the app modules distributed by X.Org have support for
displaying translated messages, either via gettext or per-locale
app-defaults files.   However, none of them have been translated
to languages other than English.   (As best I can tell, even the
ones we added gettext() calls to at Sun never got translated by
Sun's localization teams.)

Is there any interest in the community for actually having these
localized, or are we happy with telling users of non-english locales
to use the localized equivalents from GNOME/KDE/etc.?

If there is interest, does anyone want to volunteer to figure out
what we need to do to hook these up with the Translation Project
( http://translationproject.org/ )?   That probably requires minor
knowledge of Makefile.am editing, but not knowledge of the internals
of any of the software packages in question.