[PULL] Various render changes

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at cs.au.dk
Fri Apr 8 09:37:30 PDT 2011

Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:

> On Don, 2011-04-07 at 19:41 +0200, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
>>
>> The trap offsets change depends on a change to pixman that I will push
>> as soon as the changes below are in master.
>
> What's the backwards compatibility story there? Will xserver depend on
> the new pixman?

The story is that X server master currently depends on new API in the
unstable pixman 0.21.6 release. There was a mistake in that API, so I
want to change to do something else and fix the X server up to work with
the changed API.

Yes, the X server will depend on the new pixman. The patch bumps the
pixman dependency to 0.21.7, which is the number used for git master.

> And what happens if pixman is updated but not xserver?

If you apply the server patch and don't update pixman, the server will
fail at configure time.

If the pixman patch is applied and the server is not updated to match,
the result will be garbled trapezoids.

If neither of the patches are applied, we will be stuck with a poor API
in pixman, and trapezoid rendering to windows will continue to be buggy.

Soren