Question about the modesetting on X server

Huang, FrankR FrankR.Huang at amd.com
Wed Apr 27 19:46:08 PDT 2011

Hi, all

	Right now, I am working on the graphics driver and use X server
architecture as our base. I finished the modeset part now. But I
encounter a problem that puzzled me.
	As you know, in dix_main(), the mode will be set in
xf86CrtcCreateScreenResources. Then the code will go to dispatch to
listen to client's new requirement.
	And I use command xrandr to change the resolution to the new
mode, I found that modeset will be done via ProcRRSetScreenConfig(). But
I also noticed that the dispatch will be break out. And the while loop
in dix_main() will be executed again. The serverGeneration will be
updated with new value. I am not sure why the Xserver will do this
again? Why the dispatch must be breaked out with this new resolution?

Thanks,
Frank