[ANNOUNCE] xorg-server 1.11.3 [fix kdrive build]

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Dec 17 11:06:38 PST 2011

On Dec 17, 2011, at 2:35 AM, Julien Cristau wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:28:22 +0100, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 17 of December 2011, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>> == Description ==
>>>
>>> xorg-server 1.11.3 is the third maintenance release of the 1.11 branch of
>>> the X11 server.  It contains fixes for various crashes and other
>>> correctness issues fixed since the previous release.
>>
>> This patch was needed to build 1.11.3 with kdrive enabled and 1.16 macros.
>>
>> Note that git master needs more fixes for 1.16 macros than this.
>>
> Can we move all the -Werror flags to a devel option instead (ie the
> strict-compilation flag), and have release builds not use any of them?
> Pretty please?

The ones that are -Werror=... are the ones that are *really* bad and will catch hard to diagnose runtime issues.  The strict compilation option that currently exists turns all warnings into errors which makes it not particularly useful.

I made sure that things built via tinderbox with all these flags for the past 2 months before putting out a release based on them, but unfortunately there are a few corners that didn't get stressed (like this kdrive LP64 case, although I'm surprised I didn't hit it on tifa-linux64 and will look into that).

It's unfortunate that this didn't get caught before the release, but it will definitely be fixed for 1.11.4.

--Jeremy