[xproto: PATCH] Xmd.h: amd64-x32 ABI defines sizeof(long) == sizeof (void*) == 4

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Dec 28 07:38:13 PST 2011

On 12/28/11 07:33, Lu, Hongjiu wrote:
>> On 12/28/11 06:34, Lu, Hongjiu wrote:
>>> __AMD64__ is defined when 64bit x86 instruction set is used,
>>> which is true for x32. The difference is x32 doesn't define
>>> __LP64__.
>>
>> Then you have explictly designed your ABI to break existing
>> software, and it is broken by design and should not be adopted.
>>

> Yes, some existing software packages don't compile with x32.
> They need to be ported to x32.

By definition, almost every software package that checks __AMD64__
would be broken by this design.   A good design would not have
broken most of those by incompatibly changing the existing AMD64
ABI guarantees.   This design is untenable and I see no reason
to change our software to workaround your design flaws.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com