[PULL] XResource extension v1.2

Daniel Poelzleithner poelzi at poelzi.org
Thu Feb 3 08:49:48 PST 2011

On 02/03/2011 01:07 PM, Erkki Seppala wrote:

> Version 1.2 provides the ability to determine the real PID of all
> the clients and the capability to accurately account for the
> resources used by them.

I'm maintainer of ulatencyd, a daemon that optimizes the linux scheduler
and other subsystems depending on scriptable rules.
Currently mainly focused on desktop usage and there I struggle with
exactly this problem.

Whats easy for other operation systems is extremely difficult with X.
What the user expects from a desktop system is, that the current program
he uses as well as the the desktop ui should always run smooth. If the
system is overloaded with some background tasks, the program in front
should always get enough cpu shares for running smooth.

Currently I'm observing X, looking for the _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW property
in the root window and then their _NET_WM_PID property. Then looking if
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE fits, too.
This works for gtk/qt apps quite good, other GUI frameworks don't set
_NET_WM_PID at all.
OpenOffice, xine and none of the games I tested so far set _NET_WM_PID
and can't therefor be detected.

I have a game configuration pending that just doesn't work because I
can't detect what process the actual game is... Got some ideas for
workarounds, but they are ugly as hell and very unsure.

This extension will help solving this problem on the right place, so I'm
1000% for merging it :-)

[1] https://github.com/poelzi/ulatencyd/

kind regards
 Daniel